Last Updated on October 20, 2023 by SPN Editor
Currently, the Personal loan interest rate has witnessed an increase, making it crucial for borrowers to understand their options and make informed decisions. The current landscape offers a diverse range of rates, typically spanning from 6 percent to 36 percent, contingent upon your credit score. As of October 2023, the average personal loan interest rate stands at 11.44 percent.
Your credit score plays a pivotal role in determining the Personal Loan Interest Rates you qualify for, with higher scores often leading to lower rates. Before embarking on your personal loan journey, it’s advisable to compare various loan offers to identify your eligibility, ensuring you secure the most favorable terms.
- Lump Sum Payment: Personal loans typically provide a lump sum amount with a fixed interest rate, simplifying budgeting and planning.
- Speedy Access to Funds: Depending on your chosen lender, you can access the funds swiftly, sometimes within a day of approval.
- Unsecured Loans: Many personal loans are unsecured, meaning you don’t need to offer collateral such as your home or car, making them accessible to a broader audience.
- Lower Interest Rates: Personal loan interest rates are substantially lower than those of payday loans, which can charge exorbitant rates, often exceeding 400 percent.
- Versatile Use: Personal loans offer flexibility, allowing you to utilize the funds for a wide array of purposes, from debt consolidation to major purchases.
- Reasonable Repayment Time: Unlike short-term payday loans, personal loans provide a reasonable timeframe for repayment, reducing financial stress.
- Debt Consolidation: Personal loans enable you to consolidate debt, simplifying payments and offering a single, fixed-rate monthly installment, thus streamlining your finances.
- Comparatively Higher APRs: APRs for personal loans are typically higher than those for secured loans, as they are unsecured and carry a higher risk for lenders.
- Credit Score Dependency: If your credit score is low, you may not qualify for competitive interest rates or loans at all.
- Additional Fees: Some lenders impose fees, including origination, late, and prepayment fees, which can add to the overall cost of your loan.
- Budget Strain: Taking out a personal loan means adding another monthly bill, which might stretch your budget or impact your financial stability.
- Risk of Increasing Debt: While used for debt consolidation, you must exercise caution not to accumulate additional debt on credit cards, potentially worsening your financial situation.
- Higher Monthly Payments: Personal loans may entail higher monthly payments compared to minimum credit card payments, which can be challenging for some borrowers.
- Credit Impact: Failure to make timely payments on personal loans can negatively affect your credit score.
Why do you need a Personal Loan?
- Secured Personal Loans: Individuals looking for loans with collateral often opt for secured personal loans.
- Unsecured Personal Loans: Borrowers who prefer loans without collateral opt for unsecured personal loans.
- Debt Consolidation Loans: Those aiming to streamline their debt payments often choose debt consolidation loans.
- Cosigned and Joint Loans: Co-signed or joint loans are a solution for borrowers who require a co-signer or multiple applicants.
- Fixed-Rate Loans: Fixed-rate loans offer a stable personal Loan interest rate, making them suitable for budget-conscious borrowers.
- Variable-Rate Loans: Variable-rate loans can be advantageous when rates are expected to remain stable.
- Personal Line of Credit: A personal line of credit provides flexibility and access to funds as needed.
- Buy Now, Pay Later Loans: These loans cater to consumers seeking deferred payments for purchases.
- Holiday Loans: Borrowers in need of funds for holiday expenses often choose holiday loans.
Lenders Providing the Best Personal Loan
|LENDER||EST. APR||LOAN AMOUNT||LOAN TERM||CREDIT SCORE|
|LightStream||7.99%-25.49%* (with AutoPay)||$5,000-$100,000||2 – 7 years||695|
|Citi||10.49%-19.49%||$2,000-$30,000||1 – 5 years||720|
|Upgrade||8.49%-35.99% (with AutoPay)||$1,000-$50,000||2 – 7 years||600|
|Best Egg||8.99%-35.99%||$2,000-$50,000||3 – 5 years||600|
|Achieve||7.99%-35.99%||$5,000-$50,000||2 – 5 years||620|
|OneMain Financial||18.00%-35.99%||$1,500-$20,000||2 – 5 years||Not Specified|
|Avant||9.95%-35.99%||$2,000-$35,000||1 – 5 years||550|
|Upstart||5.20%-35.99%||$1,000-$50,000||3 – 5 years||Not Specified|
|SoFi||8.99%-25.81% (with AutoPay)||$5,000-$100,000||2 – 7 years||680|
|PenFed||7.99%-17.99%||$600-$50,000||Up to 5 years||700|
|LendingPoint||7.99%-35.99%||$2,000-$36,500||2 – 6 years||600|
|Prosper||6.99%-35.99%||$2,000-$50,000||2 – 5 years||600|
|LendingClub||9.57%-35.99%||$1,000-$40,000||2 – 5 years||660|
|Happy Money||11.52%-24.81%||$5,000-$40,000||2 – 5 years||640|
LightStream: Generous Repayment Terms
Low-Interest Personal Loan, LightStream Personal Loan
When it comes to personal loans with generous repayment terms, LightStream shines as a top choice. Offering a competitive APR of 7.99%-25.49% with AutoPay, LightStream provides loans ranging from $5,000 to $100,000. With a minimum credit score requirement of 695, they make it accessible for many borrowers.
Citi: Best for Existing Citi Customers
Low APR Personal Loan, Citi Personal Loan
For existing Citi customers, Citi offers a standout personal loan option with APRs ranging from 10.49% to 19.49%. Loan amounts range from $2,000 to $30,000, and you can select a repayment term of 1-5 years. To qualify, a minimum credit score of 720 is typically required.
Upgrade: Fast Funding
Fast Funding Personal Loan, Quick Approval Loans, Upgrade Personal Loan
In need of swift funds? Upgrade provides personal loans with fast funding options and APRs between 8.49% and 35.99% with AutoPay. Loan amounts can go up to $50,000, and you can choose a loan term spanning 2 to 7 years. With a minimum credit score of 600, Upgrade makes the application process hassle-free.
Best Egg: Low APRs
Low APR Personal Loan, Best Egg Loan, Affordable Interest Rates
If low APRs are what you’re after, Best Egg is an excellent choice. They offer personal loans with competitive rates, ranging from 8.99% to 35.99%. Loan amounts extend from $2,000 to $50,000, and you can select a loan term from 3 to 5 years. The minimum credit score required is typically 600.
Achieve: Interest Rate Discounts
Interest Rate Discounts, Savings on Personal Loans, Achieve Personal Loan
Achieve stands out for its interest rate discounts, offering APRs of 7.99%-35.99%. Loan amounts range from $5,000 to $50,000, and the loan term can be 2-5 years. To qualify, a minimum credit score of 620 is generally required.
OneMain Financial: Secured Loans
Secured Personal Loans, OneMain Financial Loan, Collateralized Loans
For secured personal loans, OneMain Financial is a dependable choice. They offer loans with APRs between 18.00% and 35.99%, covering loan amounts from $1,500 to $20,000, with terms of 2-5 years. The minimum credit score requirement varies.
Avant: Loans for People with Bad Credit
Bad Credit Personal Loans, Avant Personal Loan, Poor Credit Loan
Avant specializes in serving those with bad credit, offering personal loans with APRs between 9.95% and 35.99%. Loan amounts range from $2,000 to $35,000, with a loan term of 1-5 years. The minimum credit score requirement is typically 550.
Upstart: Loans for Those with Little Credit History
Personal Loans for Little Credit History, Upstart Personal Loan, No Credit History Loan
Upstart is ideal for individuals with little credit history, offering personal loans with APRs of 5.20%-35.99%. Loan amounts range from $1,000 to $50,000, with loan terms of 3-5 years. Credit history is typically not disclosed.
SoFi: Overall Personal Loan
Overall Personal Loan, SoFi Personal Loan, Top Personal Loan
SoFi is the top choice for an overall personal loan with APRs ranging from 8.99% to 25.81% with AutoPay. Loan amounts go as high as $100,000, with loan terms spanning 2 to 7 years. The minimum credit score required is typically 680.
PenFed: Small Loan Amounts
Small Personal Loans, PenFed Personal Loan, Mini Loans
If you’re looking for smaller loan amounts, PenFed offers personal loans with APRs of 7.99%-17.99%. Loan amounts start from $600 and go up to $50,000, with a loan term of up to 5 years. A minimum credit score of 700 is typically required.
LendingPoint: Small Loans for Fair Credit
Small Loans for Fair Credit, LendingPoint Loan, Loans for Fair Credit
LendingPoint caters to those with fair credit, offering personal loans with APRs ranging from 7.99% to 35.99%. Loan amounts vary from $2,000 to $36,500, with loan terms spanning 2 to 6 years. The minimum credit score requirement is typically 600.
Prosper: Joint Applications
Joint Personal Loan Applications, Prosper Personal Loan, Loans for Multiple Applicants
For joint applications, Prosper is an ideal choice with APRs between 6.99% and 35.99%. Loan amounts range from $2,000 to $50,000, with a loan term of 2-5 years. The minimum credit score typically required is 600.
LendingClub: Loans Using a Co-Borrower
Co-Borrower Personal Loans, LendingClub Loan, Loans with Co-Signer
LendingClub caters to those interested in using a co-borrower, offering personal loans with APRs ranging from 9.57% to 35.99%. Loan amounts vary from $1,000 to $40,000, with loan terms of 2-5 years. A minimum credit score of around 660 is typically required.
Happy Money: Paying Credit Card Debt
Personal Loans for Credit Card Debt, Happy Money Loan, Debt Consolidation Loans
If your goal is paying off credit card debt, Happy Money offers personal loans with APRs of 11.52% to 24.81%. Loan amounts range from $5,000 to $40,000, with a loan term of 2-5 years. The minimum credit score required is typically 640.
By choosing the right personal loan that aligns with your financial needs, you can navigate your financial journey with confidence. So, whether it’s low APRs, fast funding, or loans for bad credit, these personal loan options provide the flexibility you need to achieve your financial goals.