Last Updated on November 8, 2023 by SPN Editor
Maruti is gearing up for the 2024 launch of the new Suzuki Swift, featuring a brand-new three-cylinder engine to replace the current four-cylinder powerplant. The introduction of this engine is set to enhance torque at lower speeds, improving the vehicle’s performance. The new Suzuki Swift is slated for an early 2024 release in India, with an expected price point of approximately Rs. 6 lakh (ex-showroom).
The latest generation of the new Suzuki Swift was officially unveiled in Japan, following its introduction as a nearly production-ready concept. While there will be variations in the India-specific model, many features and attributes from the Japan-spec variant are expected to transition to the Indian market.
The new Suzuki Swift will retain its recognizable design, albeit with some refreshing updates, including a new grille. Additionally, the vehicle is expected to incorporate a 9-inch touchscreen, offer up to six airbags, and feature blind spot detection. The safety kit will encompass an electronic stability program (ESP), a 360-degree camera setup, and a suite of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS).
The current India-specific Maruti Suzuki Swift is powered by a 1.2-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine generating 90PS and 113Nm of torque. This engine is available with either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT gearbox. The upcoming new Suzuki Swift is expected to provide both manual and automatic transmission options for the new three-cylinder engine.
The fourth-generation Maruti Suzuki Swift made its debut as a nearly production-ready concept at the Japan Mobility Show in October 2023 and was recently spotted undergoing testing on Indian roads. The anticipated India launch is slated for early 2024.
The forthcoming new Suzuki Swift, set for a 2024 release, will introduce a new three-cylinder engine, a fresh design, and updated features. With an expected ex-showroom price of around Rs. 6 lakh, it will be offered with both manual and automatic transmission choices.
Competing Hatchbacks of the new Suzuki Swift in India
The new Suzuki Swift faces stiff competition from several other hatchbacks in the Indian market. Here are some of its top rivals:
- Hyundai Grand i10 Nios: Equipped with 1.2-litre petrol and diesel engine options, this car is paired with a 5-speed manual and optional AMT transmission. Pricing ranges from Rs. 5.54 lakh to Rs. 8.45 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
- Ford Figo: Available in both petrol and diesel engine variants, the Figo offers a 1.2-litre petrol and a 1.5-litre diesel engine, with transmission options including a 5-speed manual and an optional 6-speed automatic torque converter. Prices range from Rs. 5.82 lakh to Rs. 8.20 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
- Volkswagen Polo: Powered by a 1.0-litre TSI turbocharged petrol engine, this car features a 6-speed manual gearbox and an optional 6-speed automatic torque converter unit. It is priced between Rs. 6.15 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
- Tata Altroz: Offered with both petrol and diesel choices, this car also boasts a turbo-petrol engine, and a 1.2-litre motor generating 108 bhp. While it matches the Polo’s power output, it comes exclusively with a 5-speed manual gearbox, in contrast to the Polo’s manual and automatic transmission offerings. Prices range from Rs. 5.75 lakh to Rs. 9.55 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
- Renault Triber: Powered by a 1.0-litre petrol engine mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, this car is priced between Rs. 5.50 lakh to Rs. 8.50 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
These hatchbacks present compelling alternatives in the competitive Indian market, catering to a wide range of preferences and needs.